[AusNOG] Urgent - Pacnet NOC contact (with BGP clue)

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sat Dec 11 11:20:37 EST 2010

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 08:18:59 +1000
Thomas Nisbet-Smith <tom.nisbet at gmail.com> wrote:

> My simplistic view was that perhaps Skeeve could advertise "more specific"
> routes
> that would then be preferred over the routes being advertised by
> the culprits, i.e. if they are advertising /24s
> then change your statements to advertise 2x /25s
>
> Not sure if that would work but we used to use that for dual links to ensure
> or traffic
> always flowed in a certain direction.

The problem is that some providers (i.e. in the global set of
providers because this is the Internet route table) filter out
announcements that are longer than a /24.

When I briefly looked yesterday, for the first prefix Skeeve mentioned,
there was a /22 and 4 x /24s, so AINS may already be announcing /24s to
stop more specifics being used to get around this.