[AusNOG] Fail-over DSL Question

Andrew L Oskam percy at th3interw3bs.net
Thu Dec 2 10:32:16 EST 2010

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give a warm thanks to everyone who has mailed me off-list. I
received a lot of feedback and a lot of advice as to what is out there.

I just want to say that all of your advice has been taken into
consideration, some of which I may not use for this project but might be
helpful in later endeavours.

I've taken all of your names and contact numbers down and added them to my
little list ;)

For this client I will be going with Vigor 2820n and an Exetel 3G USB
dongle.

A lot of you have mentioned the use of Cisco 1841 w/ 2x HWIC-1ADSL-M in
order to effectively bond the interfaces together. Great idea but not quite
what we are after but they are slightly outside of our price range and
mostly overkill for what we want.

As you all mentioned, going down the 3G path is the most logical if you want
to ensure maximum uptime which is why I've chosen to go with Exetel. From
what I understand they use Optus Backbone.

Some have also mentioned the use of load-balancing, the number of staff in
the office and their average usage doesn't require the need for load
balancing at this point which is why I will not be doing this for now.

@Kev Harm ­ I will be in touch with you mate when I can get a chance. Likely
after new years. Your offsite backup is interesting and I would like to
speak to you about it once I refine my proposal to the management.
I've written down your number and will be in touch.

Thanks once again to everyone! Great to have such an awesome community.

Andrew OskamE  percy at th3interw3bs.net

NOTICE:

These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily
reflect the positions or opinions of my employer or their affiliates. All
comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal
experiences. You should conduct independent tests to verify the validity of
any statements made in this email before basing any decisions upon those
statements.