[AusNOG] sending email from a remote network, smtp port 587

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Aug 17 01:26:24 EST 2010

In message <1281945522.26157.0.camel at tardis>, Noel Butler writes:
> On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 14:19 +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
>
> > In message <4C67F23B.2000404 at 3rdbasenetworks.net.au>, Stephen Gillies write
> s:
> > >
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > Does anyone here running an ISP _NOT_ accept authenticated port 587 smtp
> > > client connections for subscribers to send email from your domain while
> > > away from your network?
> >
> > Optus doesn't support submission at all.  Only "webmail" for those on the
> > road.  It's not like submission is hard to support.
>
> Optus supports SMTP AUTH on port 25

Which is next to useless for the road warrior as hotspots, hotels and
other ISP's as they all block access to it.  Go try and use it in real
life situations (like on around the world trips) and it is useless.

Yes, I set my father up to use this on his last around the world trip
and it didn't work from most places that he was able to connect from.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org