[AusNOG] NBN: "i want a pony! but can I afford it"

Grahame Lynch grahamelynch at commsdaymail.com
Sun Aug 15 22:25:48 EST 2010

Genuine question here

If aggregation is such a possible and desirable outcome in the NBN world why
isn't it happening now with Band 3 exchanges? I accept the economics of
DSLAMs in band 3 are poor for individual access seekers but presumably a
wholesaler who aggregated demand could make a case for Band 3 LSS
deployments, especially given the complaints about TW. To the best of my
knowledge the last 4,500 of 5,000 ESAs remain unsullied by competitive
DSLAMs to this day....

Given the obvious opportunity for aggregation now and the reluctance of
anyone to bite the bull by the horns, what specific drivers will encourage
this to change when the implied "minimum bar" in terms of "volume"  transit
and backhaul requirements in regional Australia (ie higher speeds, higher
quotas) actually increase dramatically? (along with implied access cost -
$25-30 NBN entry price compared with $2.50 LSS price today).
I can't actually see where the incentive lies for a smaller carrier to stay
in the market or to specifically go to regional Australia when they don't
now....and I am aware of the new Nextgen cable (is that the solution???)