[AusNOG] background radiation was: "i want a pony!" (was Re: Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal])

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Aug 13 23:54:37 EST 2010

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Mark Smith wrote:

> Some of us remember the Internet before HTTP, and what it was like to
> have shared access it over 9600bps.

Yes I remember quite far back too :)

> You may be "along for the ride" if you're not a network operator,
> however most of the people on this list have to build it (layer 3), and
> potentially be the people who say, "Can't be done because there
> isn't enough money".

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying.  I'm talking big picture here,
not operational concerns of today.  We're all along for the ride because
we as a species can't predict what the network will look like in decades
or centures to come, or what uses it will be put to.

The Internet (or whatever grows out of it) is going to change everything.
Go read up about what happened when printing presses became common.  Now
shift up an order of magnitude or more in regards to the changes that will
unfold.

We're lucky to be witnessing the very birth of this revolution.  Future
historians will write a lot about this particular period in history, more
so than many others.

Cheers,

Rob

--