[AusNOG] background radiation was: "i want a pony!" (was Re: Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal])

Anand Kumria akumria at acm.org
Wed Aug 11 23:33:22 EST 2010

Hi Mark,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Mark Smith <
nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> If the typical family in Australia has 2.4 children, rounding that up
> to 3, that means in the slightly above average case there are 5 people
> living in a residence. If each of those people wants to conduct a high
> definition video conference at the same time, that is approximately 5 x
> 8 Mbps symmetric bandwidth [0], or 40Mbps. That is of course peak
> bandwidth, and worst case. 3 children is not that common, and I think 5
> concurrent HD video conferences is even less likely to happen. However,
> it is a feasible and possible use case.
>
> So what is the other 60Mbps for?

I see that close to 30% utilisation across some (others have close to 10%)
of my DSL links is just Internet background radiation.

And it seems the bigger the link, the larger the amount of radiation
received.

You also seem to be assuming that everything is initiating things on their
links all the time. Guess what. Speaking from a domestic setting - I have no
control over what time of day my Wii decides to downloads new upgrades /
news items etc.

I assume things will be even less predictable when TV providers decide to
'pre-stream' shows to a bunch of households as well.