[AusNOG] Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal]

Grahame Lynch grahamelynch at commsdaymail.com
Wed Aug 11 14:15:26 EST 2010

On 11 August 2010 11:04, Paul Brooks <pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au> wrote:

> Perhaps your need hasn't changed. Mine has, and over the next 10 - 30
> years I suspect it will change more. I no longer have a single PC shared
> by all in the household - I have several, each capable of saturating far
> more capacity than thye one I had 10 years ago, along with several
> people who all want to access network resources simultaneously. I'm
> currently finding sub-1 Mbps upstream speeds quite limiting - and
> economically and productively limiting - and others do too.

Paul I accept all that but I ask a question.

Are you personally prepared to pay for the real cost of that service since
you experience a private benefit or productivity gain? Or should the cost of
that be partly borne by others who don't necessarily share the productivity
gain? That seems to be the nub of the issue here - most people will pay
$40-50 a month for broadband but they wouldn't pay the implied $3,000-5,000
per household connection and activation cost of the NBN budget directly if
asked to...in strict economic terms, it is a transfer from non-high speed
broadband users to high speed broadband users where costs are very hazily
proportioned between public and private interest criteria....