[AusNOG] bonding many ADSL2 connections

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Fri Aug 6 16:41:48 EST 2010

On 06/08/2010, at 3:30 PM, Nathan Ridge wrote:

> Due to the lack of affordable high bandwidth solutions available up here in Mackay, I am entertaining the idea of getting a Cisco 2851 and running 6-10 ADSL WIC modules and bonding Telstra ADSL2 links to create a 6mbit to 10mbit link. Using a few of NM-2W modules theoretically I can fit 10 WIC-1ADSL in a 2851 and load-balance them to make 80mbit/10mbit, CEF handling the load-balancing outbound across even metric routes.
>
> Ive had good success in the past doing this with 2 x ADSL2 to make a 2mbit service but not more than 2. Has anyone tried with 4 or more ?
>
> Any past experiences, thoughts, recommendations appreciated.

Be aware that some of the multi-WIC NM cards are not supported on the 2800 platform, which may limit you back to 4x ADSL.

I've done something similar in the past by putting standard DSL modems into bridge mode, and adding them to a VLAN capable switch back to a single trunk interface on the router. You'll want a separate MAC address per virtual interface to avoid all data coming down one line (as the DSLAM may act like a switch), although I'm not certain that the Cisco PPPoE client will run on a subinterface. The trick is to ensure that you have distinct PPPoE client instances in separate broadcast domains.

What I would be more concerned about is how you're going to pay for all of the Telstra ADSL2 AGVC bandwidth you're intending on using, assuming that you're talking about L2TP/multilink rather than just interleaving across Bigpond services. Unless you've got a killer deal on TW ADSL2, the monthly cost of getting that 80M aggregation into your CBD POP is going to be more than a TW 100M ethernet service to your location!

John