[AusNOG] Time for AusSOG I think (was Re: Happy Sysadminday)

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Mon Aug 2 12:47:31 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 11:44 +1000, Anthony Spruce wrote:
> I was doing Networking in TAFE here in NSW a few years back, and half of
> the course was actually dealing with Linux, SQL Servers and Windows. So,
> it gives the idea that to be a good Netadmin, you also gotta be a decent
> Sysadmin.

I majored in systems administration at TAFE, and I have to say my
experience was that technically the course was pretty watered down in
general, but particularly so with Linux.

I think what my classmates would have got out of the grand total of
about 1 hour of Linux classes out of about 1600–or–so hours in 2 years
is that you don’t touch Linux — leave it to the guy with the UnixⓇ
Beard. That said, one or two classmates were genuinely interested —
particularly with distros such as BackTrack.

And given that this was a sysadmin course, naturally classmates came out
with having not much appreciation for how networking actually worked.

Apart from ‘sniffing packet’ jokes, nobody could even faintly tell how
to diagnose a networking bug, let alone even what a subnet mask was used
for, or what kind of role DNS plays in Active Directory (students and
teachers alike would set their DNS to the wrong DNS server and wonder
for weeks why AD is broken).