[AusNOG] Bogon Filter Eradication

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Thu Apr 8 17:45:24 EST 2010

On 08/04/2010, at 4:59 PM, Tom Wright wrote:

> I agree.
>
> If everyone worried about following BCP 84, and ditched their
> bogon filters, we'd all be in a better place.
>

> -- Tom

They (bogon filters) seem to be a classic case of security pantomime - to be seen to be doing something even if what you are doing is entirely ineffectual and just gets in everyone's way. :-)

Putting up passive announcements and hoping that folk find and fix their local filters always seems to me to rely more upon wishful thinking than anything else.  One of the best approaches to the problem I've seen in recent times was reported in 2007 at NANOG 40 by Randy Bush - check out: http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog40/presentations/RandyBush-BogonFilters.pdf

And yes, Matt Roughan from the University of Adelaide was part of that research group.

Geoff