[AusNOG] Report on 1/8 traffic

Terry Manderson terry at terrym.net
Thu Apr 8 14:27:47 EST 2010

On 08/04/2010, at 1:36 PM, Terry Manderson wrote:

> I'm beginning to wonder if the value of stretching the IPv4 horizon by allocating _anything_ from 1/8 is appropriate given that any use apart from proxy mediated PCs/Customers will bring a load on the entity that receives such an allocation.

To clarify, where I say "load" I don't specifically mean traffic load. There are of course other loads and impacts placed on an organisation when they receive a 'dirty' allocation.

Does that effort to make the prefix usable (in some form) pay off against the market cost of IPv4 currently? I don't (personally) think so. In the future? I care not to speculate yet.

Other posts have already highlighted the 'other' nits involved in 1/8 (and like blocks).

..T