[AusNOG] Power consumption of NBN (was Re: [ISOC-AU-mems] Quigley announces architectural "stakein the ground"

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Thu Sep 17 12:35:44 EST 2009

Bob Purdon wrote:

> I was pondering that earlier...  I'm wondering how the collective power
> consumption (with all those powered ONT's) will look in comparison to a
> PSTN/DSL world...

There are some interesting developments in Europe on required standards
for CPE (including ONTs) for low-power and 'green' always-on devices.
see Code of Conduct on Energy Consumption of Broadband Equipment
<http://www.ieee802.org/minutes/nov2008/opening_reports/Code%20of%20Conduct%20Broadband%20Equipment%20V3%2021%20July%202008%20draft.pdf>

Also note advertising such as at
http://www.ikanos.com/news/press-releases/?i=1047:

"...Fully compliant with the European CoC power consumption levels
(L0/L2/L3), the Velocity chipsets' power profile is the industry's
lowest at less than 1 W per port, over 30 percent power savings compared
to the next best A/VDSL chipset offering."

(yes this is copper, but the Euro Code of Conduct is intended to drive
power usage down in all CPE)

As for replacing batteries and needing technician truck-rolls - meh -
make it user-replaceable, add an audible alarm and flashing light when
the battery gets low, and re-use the distribution (and recycling) chain
for telephone books to throw a new battery onto everyones lawn every 3
years. A small gell-cell would have to be lighter, smaller and more
efficient to distribute than 2 volumes of the Sydney white-pages.

Maybe a new service provided by your local council - leave your used
battery by the bins for recycling when the rubbish is collected, and the
garbos leave a new one in the morning.

Paul.