[AusNOG] Possible DDoS attack against .au governmentalsites-~65minutes from now.

roland at chan.id.au roland at chan.id.au
Thu Sep 10 05:21:49 EST 2009

I find this incident a bit sad, and probably counter-productive for the attacker. I don't recall the last time anyone used force to protest about a purely domestic political issue. I didn't think it was a feature of Australian politics.

To my mind a DDoS is a step beyond mere defacement, albeit "virtual". That it has come to this is probably an indication of how little the electorate cares about this issue, at least as long as they can still torrent/youtube/watch a guy swinging a baby around (an MA+ video it seems, so exempt from the filtering regime. Phew!).

I wonder that the recent proposed changes to the Telco Interception Act have not generated nearly so much heat. They are significantly more interesting for a technology minded civil libertarian. They scare the pants off me.

Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra