[AusNOG] Possible DDoS attack against .au governmental sites - ~65 minutes from now.

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Sep 9 17:56:28 EST 2009

There were some rumblings last week that a DDoS attack against .au
governmental sites might take place today in order to protest the
Internet filtering plans being posited by the present .au government.
I didn't take it very seriously at the time, because no one seemed to
have any specifics.

This has now changed; it's apparently Anonymous who're supposedly
going to do this in about 70 minutes, and they've a considerable track
record of mischief, sort of a '4chan Lite'.  I've no idea whether the
attacks will actually take place, but heightened vigilance is a good
idea, especially as outbound DDoS from botted hosts can be just as
disruptive to the networks in question as inbound DDoS.

SANS posted something on it here:

<http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7108>

There's an extremely NSFW wiki page being used to coordinate the
putative attacks, along with an IRC server/channel.   I'm not going to
link to them here, but some digging with various search engines can
find them with relative ease.

Again, I've no idea whether or not this will actually happen, just a
heads-up.

Sorry, sometimes I mistake your existential crises for technical
insights.

			-- xkcd #625