[AusNOG] Internode goes Carbon Neutral

Shaun Dwyer shaun at dwyer.id.au
Thu Nov 19 14:24:32 EST 2009

In the not too distant past, I was looking at some APC hot-aisle containment DC solutions.

An example DC they took me on a tour of had no raised floor, two rows of racks, fully contained, in-row chillers that sucked hot air out of the completely contained hot area and chilled off the larger volume of the room. All cabling (power and data) are done from above. One of the obvious benefits of hot-aisle containment vs cold-aisle is that hot-aisle means you have a larger reserve volume of cold air in the event of failure.

They claim huge energy efficiencies as compared to conventional raised floor cooling. They don't compare it to a standard raised, underfloor chilled system with any of the suggested improvements.

APC block off unpopulated areas of the racks to attempt to force the airflow through the servers and give even cooling.

All sounds good in theory, but they do charge a pretty penny - worth a look, even if its just to get some ideas on how someone else is doing it.

After seeing APC's example DC, I'm sure in a hot aisle containment system it wouldn't be too hard to add a few sensors, a bit of ducting to the outside, a fan, a method to seal it all up when not evacuating, and some microcontroller love. Infact, I'm sure its something that would be extremely easy to put together with an AVR.

One obvious pitfall that comes to mind though is making sure you don't cause a flood in your DC from all the moisture that gets condensed out of the colder outside air thats coming into the DC to replace your hot exhaust.

In Australia, this sort of thing could only be used as a method of saving electricity on cooling; you'd still need enough cooling capacity to handle your full thermal load in the event that the atmosphere outside is hotter than your contained hot air.

Cheers!
-Shaun