[AusNOG] Internode goes Carbon Neutral

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Nov 19 09:10:11 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 10:50 -0800, Mark Prior wrote:

> potentially wasting it through inefficient IT processes. At a recent
> LINX meeting Lex Coors of Interxion mentioned that they had UPSes from
> two different suppliers and while it was difficult to measure the
> efficiency of each they were surprised to discover how inefficient one
> manufacturer was compared to another.

The worst offenders are the HVAC units, but only due to poor designs by
the people planning and building the DC's and server rooms in the first
place, how many here actually expel the hot air via a rack chimney
system into an overhead plenum (being the air intake for the HVACs) not
many I bet, most I've seen use hot/cold aisle, so the hot air still goes
back into the same DC your trying to keep cool, that's far from
efficient in this day and age.

--
Kind Regards,
SSA Noel Butler

This Email, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore remains confidential and subject to copyright
protected under international law. You may not disseminate or reveal any
part to anyone without the authors express written authority to do so.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and
delete all relevance of this message including any attachments,
immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not
waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message. Only
PDF and ODF documents are accepted, do not send Microsoft proprietary
formatted documents.