[AusNOG] Telstra Internet & BGP

Matt Carter matt at iseek.com.au
Mon Nov 9 12:56:36 EST 2009

Hi All,

I'm starting to wonder - has Telstra Internet has been left to rot and what you see is what you get? Is that the impression I am to walk away with?

Recently raised an issue with regards to the fact Telstra won't allow ranged BGP prefixes. I've always had some concerns about the Telstra Internet network since the day they forced us to eBGP to the other side of the Telstra ASN just to get full tables (Seriously, if you can only deliver domestic tables to the customer off the PE, what kind of carrier are you) ... As far as Telstra Managed Network Operations are concerned, the people who support BGP, they have "no input into the setup of the network or the way the BGP works - and haven't been told how it works and have no need to know apparently or had any training on the setup." and just to put the icing on the cake the request could be forwarded to the operations group however "it wont be a quick process as they have decided to "remove" the people with experience on the Internet Direct setup recently"

So the people who are supporting this product literally have no idea and it seems the architects have been send packing.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?