[AusNOG] Pipe on front page of www.news.com.au right now

Craig Askings craig at askings.com.au
Tue May 26 22:44:02 EST 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 7:41 am, Daniel Hooper wrote:
> Is it true that PPC-1 is an unprotected circuit? Meaning
> carriers/providers still need to buy from reach/southern cross etc?
>
> If so.. I can't see how this is really going to lower any one's prices.

Easy, it used to be that if you wanted carrier diversity you needed to buy
on both AJC and Sothern Cross. Since you had to buy from both they priced
accordingly. You can buy one leg on PIPE. AJC and Southern Cross now have
to fight it out for the other leg.

Since one of them will be walking away from the table empty handed there
is an incentive to compete on price.

--Craig.