[AusNOG] Pipe on front page of www.news.com.au right now

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 26 19:02:31 EST 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> On 26/05/2009, at 2:29 PM, Nathan Brookfield (SAU) wrote:
>
> > Grahame Lynch is absolutely kidding himself? AGVC + National Transit to
> > Telstra and other carriers who don't peer is the major killer or am I just
> > totally off the mark here?
>
> It's not possible to operate an IP network in Australia without paying the
> "GoF" tax and this effective "cartel" the ACCC created all those years ago for
> domestic peering I think is something the ACCC/Government will have to look at
> fairly soon.  Otherwise it's going to constrain the growth of content delivery
> in Australia as the Domestic IP price becomes the "floor" price providers have
> to ensure they sell above so they don't get arbitraged.

Conveniently, DCBDE is taking submissions on reform of the
telcommunications regulatory framework:
http://www.dbcde.gov.au/communications_for_business/funding_programs__and__support/national_broadband_network/regulatory_reform_for_21st_century_broadband

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |