[AusNOG] Web filter a runaway success: Exetel

Andrew Cox andrew at accessplus.com.au
Tue May 5 10:37:08 EST 2009

I'd hazard a guess that the 20,000 hits were connections from extel's
router across the tunnel to the watchguard server for the 198 filtered IP's.
This however wouldn't mean they were banned content, just that people
accessed content that was on an IP with /some/ banned content.
(For all we know one of the blocked urls could've been a picture on
wikipedia etc: if this was the case all traffic for that one server
passes via the watchdog server and only the prohibited url gets blocked)

I explained and linked the original extel explanation of the filter
here:
http://techwiredau.com/2009/05/extel-conclude-isp-level-filtering-feasible/comment-page-1/#comment-9035

Regards,
Andrew Cox