[AusNOG] GEO IP databases

Daniel danielt at 314.net.au
Wed Mar 25 17:37:17 EST 2009

Hi Everyone,

An application I'm working on at the moment could benefit from some
best-guess GEO lookups based on users current IPs. I'm interested to
know what success people have had with the various products on the market?

I realise that there will always be errors in the data set, it's
impossible to tie down every IP.

For my purpose I'm just trying to save most people a little time by
auto-populating a state selector and maybe guessing a region or city.
False hits are not the end of the world.

I'd like to hear any suggestions on services people have consumed (data
sets, web services). And maybe you have a horror story everyone would be
interested in.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

--