[AusNOG] [LINK] [ISOC-AU-mems] Happy Birthday ... AARNet

Kevin Karp ausnog at pps.com.au
Wed Mar 18 17:53:26 EST 2009

Geoff

 > Geoff Huston <gih at apnic.net>
 > ... What are we going to do given that noone is doing anything
remotely serious in IPv6 and the
 > crunch time of IPv4 address exhaustion is getting ever closer?

Not sure what scale you are using to measure "noone" and "anything
remotely serious" but our StudentNet subsidiary is certainly trying to
do something with IPv6. Specifically, we have approximately 5000 school
students enrolled into our NextMail Collaboration Account program.
NextMail uses IPv6 technology entirely based on the Try6 and Grow6
products of IPv6Now.

As a result of this program each school student will receive their own
allocated IPv6 address and 6in4 tunnel account. As school students are
involved, we have had to be extremely careful with how this facility is
established and implemented in conjunction with the schools' IT staff
and management. At last year's IPv6 summit, Latif Ladid told us he
believed that this represented the 3rd largest schools education
implementation in the world (China & Greece being 1st and 2nd
respectively).

Because of the sensitivities involved with online collaboration between
school students (Cyber bullying, privacy etc) we can not afford to be
anything but serious about the manner in which we design and implement
NextMail. We have been working on these aspects for over 6 months.

I am sure that this project is a mere blip on your scale of measurement.
Just as the previous entries in this thread have reminisced on the scale
of activity performed 20 years ago, I am sure that in 20 years time, we
also will look back on NextMail and realise that your scale measurement
was indeed the correct one. But to us, right now, it looks very much
like a mountain of issues.

 > Or do we say goodbye to all this
 > end-to-end IP stuff and just run client sever over http and forget
 > than anything else was ever possible?

We are doing our best to identify to the schools involved with NextMail
all the things possible with the "end-to-end IP stuff". We're happy to
hear of suggestions and ideas from the participants on this list.

Best Regards

Kevin Karp
StudentNet a subsidiary of PPS Internet
Phone: +61 2 9281 1626