[AusNOG] Hyperlink fines from ACMA [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Brad Gould bradley at internode.com.au
Wed Mar 18 10:57:12 EST 2009

Kayne Naughton wrote:
>> According to Whirlpool posts the content assessment team is

Unfortunately ACMA are perceived, by some, to be the fire breathing end
of legislation, when in fact they are just the instrument of it.

I havent heard (except 14 year olds on Whirlpool) anyone speak of ACMA
without respect.  Sure, I've had many discussions where the legislation
ACMA works under is ridiculed, but that's not ACMA, nor its staff.

The people classifying content must have a tremendously difficult job,
and I dont know what they deserve more, our respect/sympathy or a pay rise.

To Skeeve et al...

My understanding is that ACMA issue a takedown notice once content is
found to be in Australia (whatever that means, the argument of a content
or company actual physical location not withstanding), but *only* after
someone has actually made a complaint about it.

If the company does not action the complaint within a specified time,
then fines may be applied.  I suspect Bulletproof were involved because
they "own" the IP address, and ACMA contact them rather than the owners
of the domain (whirlpool.net.au).  I dont think there was anything
nefarious going on, sensational journalism aside.

So really, if your hosting a forum or blog etc etc, I'd be far more
frightened of users posting slanderous actionable statements than
prohibited or potentially prohibited content.  Whirlpool has had many
legal threats, and only one takedown notice (and only as a result of its
users trying to show the stupidity of the Governments legislation and
efforts to control content on the internet).

Brad
(also speaking on behalf of himself)

--
Brad Gould, Network Engineer