[AusNOG] Back of envelope II

Matt Moor m at imprecise.org
Fri Mar 6 15:09:50 EST 2009

VMware also supports paravirtualisation.

My experiences with Xen have not been happy ones (your mileage might
vary), and for VMware I can only say the reverse.

If you do want a cheaper solution, however, I hear good things about KVM
- but it's still an emerging technology, and AFAIK doesn't support live
migrations (VMotion) in production yet.

VMware pricing is more attractive if you look at the cost per virtual
server - consolidation ratios of 8 or 10 to 1 aren't uncommon for
Enterprise workloads, and web applications can achieve much higher than
that. Memory overcommit is awesome.

VMware also gets much cheaper if you look at purchasing ESXi with your
server (as cheap as $99, apparently), and then adding appropriate
licenses for VMotion and/or HA. Like everything else, RRP goes down a
lot as soon as you start bundling it as part of a larger purchase
(think: a couple of servers + vmware licenses + storage).

- Matt