[AusNOG] 95th percentile bandwidth in AU?

Phillip Grasso phillip.grasso at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 19:07:22 EST 2009

just for my edufication; I've heard stories strange implementations of 95th
percentile billing;
my understanding of the 'proper' way is (but happy for this to be debated):

   - 5minute polls (record) of interface transmit/receive counters,
   - sorted from highest to lowest
   - remove top 5% of entries (records)
   - Next entry = 95% level, and so billed.
   - So every 5minutes or 12 records per hour x 24h x 30 days [12 x 24 x 30]
   = 8640 records
   - remove top 432 records, and next record = 95th percentile.

This way is kind of like median but rather then 50% at 95%. Wiki article
supports this ;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burstable_billing

Alternative methods I've heard people mention is:

   - averaging out month worth of records and removing 5% (favorable to the
   customer)
   - Using netflow, and taking away top records (not sure how they do it
   with netflow??)

What I'm wondering is anyone doing things differently in oz and what would
the reasons behind that be?