[AusNOG] Conroy announcement on filtering

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 17 18:44:23 EST 2009

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Anthony Spruce wrote:

> He Has stated Numerous times now that there will be no Penalty for Circumvention. Which is one of the major reasons It'd be
> completely pointless.
>
> However, no doubt they would try and do something to crucify an Australian company running it, because it would make them
> look pretty stupid otherwise... (Although I don't think that's possible that this point in time?)

ISPs would likely be targeted for offering circumvention via VPNs etc. as
the federal government has the power under s51(v) to make laws for them.
They don't have the power to make laws concerning individuals, however
states could (perhaps under financial pressure from the feds) make it
illegal to circumvent the filter or possess software to do so. This is
fairly unlikely IMHO, but then again Germany did ban "hacking tools" in
2007 which still has a chilling effect, although no prosecutions have been
brought.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/07/germany_hacker_tool_law/

As an example, currently it's illegal in Western Australia to possess
content refused classification, whereas in other states it's only child
sexual abuse material that's illegal to posses.

http://libertus.net/censor/ispfiltering-au-govplan.html#rcpossess

One of best places to counter this at the moment is by writing to your
state's ALP senators and MHR, as Kate Lundy will be trying to change
caucus' position which binds all ALP MPs. Tell them in no uncertain terms
it's a vote-loser.

http://www.katelundy.com.au/2009/12/17/my-thoughts-on-the-filter/
http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/12/16/dont-waste-your-time-waste-theirs-a-guide-to-writing-to-ministers/

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |