[AusNOG] Carrier Independent Peering Exchange

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Thu Dec 17 13:07:22 EST 2009

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:17:30 +1000
"Steve Baxter" <steve at thebaxters.com> wrote:

> > AWIX - Australian Wide Internet Exchange
>
> Sure - you could hook it up with the modern equivilent of 256k frame
> relay!
>
> I do not apologise if I sound cynical but having been down this road
> many times before I really suggest that all who look at it consider the
> history of what has been before else you may be doomed to repeat
> failures.

From what I understand, they collapsed because of disagreements between
members.

A trusted third party who has a commercial motivation to keep everybody
happy would seem to be a better model. I suspect it's been done quite
successfully before. I suggest not calling it Public Internet
Peering Exchange though.

If the ISPs around Australia do want to try to go down this path again,
I'd suggest setting up something like a separate commercial entity that
has it's own financial/commercial agenda and management etc. that the
ISPs have shareholdings in and maintain an arms-length relationship
with.

A commercial structure may not be the best one for this, others such
as a trust structure might be an alternative. I think the key thing to
ensure with the possible structure is that there is an overriding tie
breaker if disputes between shareholding ISPs arise, with "whats best
for the profitability of the peering company" being an example of one.