[AusNOG] Conroy announcement on filtering

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Tue Dec 15 17:22:51 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 16:59 +1100, Peter Davidoff wrote:
> Maybe we should just 'forget' about it, as long as penalties for
> circumventing filtering systems are not introduced. If you want to get
> to something, you'll easily be able to find it - as with a lot of things
> in life.

Trouble is, it'll become just like boiling a frog in water.

The water is cold at the moment. From the report, the filtering system
doesn't appear to be performing too badly, and for those of us that may
be affected adversely by it, I'm sure it'll be a simple workaround to
bypass.

But once the main legislation is introduced, it makes it so much easier
to make subtle change upon subtle change until the legislation is very
different from when it was first introduced.

While outlawing SSL traffic sounds pretty far-fetched, I'm sure there
are far more subtle things that could be done to seriously affect our
freedom.

I'm pretty sure Conroy has the best of intentions. But while we're all
off enjoying ourselves on Facebook and playing WoW, evil changes are
much more easily introduced behind our backs as amendments.