[AusNOG] Conroy announcement on filtering

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Tue Dec 15 17:12:33 EST 2009

Julian,
My main issue is that this is pointless window dressing.   It provides a "solution" for http only.  It's trivially bypassed (and admitted so in the report).

So, it's not going to stop a child looking a inappropriate content (there's far more than ACMA's list) nor is it going to stop people looking at abhorrent content .

Nor is it going to do anything to stop the actual harm of children.

eg: From the last 24 hours of news coverage.

http://www.news.com.au/national/police-question-man-over-assaults-on-boys-at-mcdonalds-restaurants/story-e6frfkwi-1225810485673

or

http://www.smh.com.au/national/girl-living-in-care-raped-by-five-men-20091214-kqoh.html

So EPIC FAIL award goes Conroy for failing to do anything useful here.

MMC

On 15/12/2009, at 4:21 PM, Julian De Marchi wrote:

> Roddy Strachan wrote:
>> http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/media/media_releases/2009/115
>
> <rant>
> How can we live in a democracy when the majority of society objects to
> this draconian laws.... Are politicians are meant to represent our wishes.
>
> I do not call today's political system a democracy, while they keep
> bringing in legislations that we the people do not agree with nor want.
> </rant>
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Julian De Marchi
> --
> OpenNIC user - http://www.opennicproject.org/ | http://www.opennic.glue
> Support OpenNIC, become a member today!
> --
> PGP 0x8D659814
> --

Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs
Internode /Agile