[AusNOG] Dealing with ASIO

Peter Adkins pete at pirate-pockets.net
Tue Dec 8 16:27:39 EST 2009

IANAL either, however, as far as I understand there are clauses built
into the telecommunications act of 1997 to allow LEAs to request
information with the correct authorization.

The requests will come from the LEA as a document sighted and signed
by the appropriate people to allow the disclosure of information.
Generally internet history requests will also have the appropriate
clauses from the telecommunications act on the cover page to cover
this disclosure.

The exact clause(s) can be found on the ACMA website (or
http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1777)

"Exceptions for disclosure

There are exceptions in Part 13 of the Telecommunications Act or
Chapter 4 of the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979
(TIA Act) to the requirement not to disclose or use information or a
document and these are set out below.

The main exceptions to the prohibition on disclosure of customer
information include:

* where the disclosure is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of
the criminal law or a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or the
protection of the public revenue (under the TIA Act);
* where the disclosure is made to Australian Security Intelligence
Organisation (ASIO) in connection with the performance of its
functions;
* where the disclosure is made to the Australian Communications and
Media Authority (ACMA) or ACCC to assist in carrying out their
functions and powers;
* where the disclosure is made to the Telecommunications Industry
Ombudsman to assist in the consideration of a complaint;
* where the disclosure is required or is otherwise authorised under a
warrant (under the TIA Act) or under law;
* where the disclosure or use of the information is reasonably
necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the
life or health of a person;
* where the disclosure is for prescribed business needs of other
carriers or service providers;
* where the disclosure is made in the performance of a person’s duties
as an employee;
* where the disclosure is made as a witness under subpoena;
* where the disclosure is made to an authorised publisher for the
publication and maintenance of a public number directory;
* where the disclosure is made to an authorised researcher to
undertake research of a specific kind; and
* where the disclosure is made for maritime purposes, to preserve life
or locate a vessel at sea."

Roland Chan wrote:

IANAL, but if they don't have a warrant, then no dice.