[AusNOG] Google launches alternative DNS resolver

David Connors david at codify.com
Fri Dec 4 11:40:25 EST 2009

2009/12/4 Julian De Marchi <julian at jdcomputers.com.au>

> I run a few DNS servers for OpenNIC (Not promoting the group here),
> and daily I use a perl script to replace all IPs in my DNS logs with
> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX. I believe strongly that people using DNS servers
> should trust the provider of that service, as the info could be used
> to track habits of those users (stating the obvious sorry!).

I'm not advocating their service, but it looks as though (assuming their
privacy statement is truthful) they don't store anything you could call PII
for more then 24-48 hours ...
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/privacy.html - they say they do the
same thing as you suggest above.

I guess the metro/geo data they keep would be useful in an aggregate sense
but not for individually targeted ads.

Of course, the privacy policy of today is not necessarily the privacy policy
of 24 months down the track. [?]

--
David Connors (david at codify.com)
Software Engineer