[AusNOG] Pipe Brisbane Peering Exchange traffic dropoff

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Wed Dec 2 05:40:40 EST 2009

On 12 Nov 2009, at 04:54, Nick @ Deltaband wrote:

> I used to work for a carrier in the UK that sold routes to one IX
> (Linx) over another IX (Lonap) for a cheap cheap rate per m/bit.
> Obviously that kind of behaviour isn't permitted at all IXs though.

Partial transit was really trendy a few years ago in the UK, because
even as typical transit pricing was starting to hit £5-6/Mbit (AU$9),
it was possible to buy UK or even European peered routes for £1-3/Mbit.

Now it's possible to pay almost nothing for global transit here, so
it's less fashionable.  Partial transit can make it hard to get
peering for people who sell partial ("Hey, I don't want you to sell my
routes for pennies.."), and buy partial ("Well, I already see you
through this peer.....")

Andy