[AusNOG] Future IPv6 allocation policies

Terry Manderson terry at terrym.net
Fri Aug 28 14:41:20 EST 2009

Hi All,

I thought I would post to the list and highlight something that I
think you will find important regarding IPv6 future deployment.

This week at the APNIC Open Policy Meeting in Beijing (which concludes
today) the policy proposal "prop-073-v004: Simplifying allocation/
assignment of IPv6 to APNIC members with existing IPv4 addresses"
reached consensus in both the policy SIG (Special Interest Group) and
the APNIC Member Meeting. Provided this proposal makes it through the
8 week comment period with consensus in tact and the APNIC Executive
Council deems the proposal has reached community consensus it will be
endorsed, this policy change means:

	* Any APNIC member organisation that has IPv4, requires no further
justification to receive IPv6.
		- A member that has an IPv4 allocation would be eligible for an
IPv6 /32
		- A member that has an IPv4 assignment would be eligible for an
IPv6 /48
	* The APNIC secretariat is directed to implement a simple online
request for IPv6 resources under this policy
	* The policy proposal authors recommend that the APNIC Secretariat
communicate to members and others that the criteria for receiving an
initial IPv6 block has been reduced and that the process of obtaining
IPv6 address space has been made simpler to show that there is no
effective barrier to members obtaining IPv6 addresses.

	 Details can be found here: http://www.apnic.net/policy/proposals/prop-073

I'm sure we all recognise that there are many barriers and issues on
the road to IPv6 deployment, this policy proposal makes that first
step, of getting IPv6 address space, as easy as possible especially in
the APNIC region.

Cheers,
Terry
(Prop-073 Co-Author)