[AusNOG] [Spam] RE: Handover of information and/or monitoring for authorities.

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Aug 26 10:17:37 EST 2009

My system doesn't like your post Matt.. copying inline..

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 09:43 +1000, Matt Carter wrote:

>Just something I thought of with regards to putting data on disc for
collection - Just be mindful if you are going beyond >providing end
user/billing info and actually capturing traffic going to the
subscriber, you will most definitely need to at least

This is correct, interception is a whole new ballgame of procedures.

>sight the warrant. Don't be shy about telling them to provide their own
box if you want.

The telecommunications act requires us all to have in place the
equipment/capability of "interception", if you start pulling the
"bring your own box",  you're likely to have more problems then what
it's worth with the ACMA :)
DVD's and even TB sata drives are cheap enough, but I agree  if your
doing it often, considering invoicing them for hardware
may have to be an option, and in case of interception, I don't think
you'd get any complaints about it from them either.

Cheers