[AusNOG] Handover of information and/or monitoring for authorities.

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Aug 25 20:54:24 EST 2009

Andrew,

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 18:23 +1000, Andrew Cox wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> Just wondering if anyone from an ISP here has previously had to deal
> with AFP assisting in capturing and/or providing data about an end user?

Hundreds of them :)

> If so I'm interested to hear just exactly what sort of process they had
> to go through to get the data (I know we are legally required to provide
> it and I don't see an issue with that) but just wondering what if anyone
> knows what exactly they are supposed to give us in terms of a warrant
> and/or proof of identity etc etc.

They don't need a warrant, but it must be a s282 request, it is also
normally (co) signed by a commissioned officer,
they will indicate exactly what they want from you, be complete and
generous in the information, supply all details of the user,
often they want proof it was that user at said times, give them a paste
from radius as well showing such.
The same applies to other Australian Police Services, and the ATO, which
you are also legally obligated to furnish details of users to. Normally
you can email a copy of the data to them, or fax it back, sometimes in
cases of very serious nature, they may also request you put data onto a
CD and it will be collected from you.

> Been asking around and I've also been told that they should normally
> provide contact details of a supervisor or higher authority we can refer
> to if needed.

Yes normally they will want these details, and an a/h contact in case
they need to action a request outside normal hours (very rare), but
mostly it's so they have a common point of contact, doesn't need to be a
manager, your senior sysadmin is good enough.