[AusNOG] DDoS Attacks - Painful and Persistent.

Nick Brown nick at inticon.net.au
Mon Aug 10 15:08:55 EST 2009

Afternoon All,

We have refrained from posting an email of this nature to the list due
to the general 'publicness' of it, alas I believe it is pertinent we get
some feedback from those who are knowledgeable in the subject.

We have been the target of a Distributed Denial of Service attack on and
off again for the last 3 weeks. Used to seeing your typical smaller
scale attacks, SYN floods and exploited boxes downstream we are not
typically phased by the issue, however this is attack is of significant
volume, and after the initial 24 hours of traffic being targeted at
assorted miscellaneous IP's within our network, the target has changed
to be directed at our own website, with the target changing to the new
IP once changed.

Continually we have managed to handle the situation, blackholing
destination IP's, throwing more capacity at the problem and dropping
entire prefixes - but I'm interested to hear if anyone here has been in
the situation previously, and how you handled it - not just from a
technical perspective, but a business perspective also.

We managed to go a week without seeing the traffic however it again this
morning started. The source is varied so attempting to block the traffic
on the ingress is not really achievable.

Our changes to date and the situation so far would certainly make for an
interesting real world discussion piece at the conference :-)

Regards,
Nick.