[AusNOG] What is more important? - ipv4 vs. routing table size

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Fri Aug 7 21:59:46 EST 2009

On 07/08/2009, at 8:22 PM, Daniel Hooper wrote:

> I would rather see IPv4 conservation, in my simple narrow minded and
> black & white view, it's easier for X number of providers to upgrade
> equipment to handle larger routing tables then what it is for X
> amount of consumers to upgrade kit that is capable of supporting ipv6.

Sadly they are mutually exclusive arguments.  The OP was referring to
the size of the full table.  That may be tweaked by minor changes to
the RIR allocation policy.  Nothing will stop us from running out of
v4 space.  Kit does not need upgraded to support v6 (other than old
CPE I admit).   Ostrich time is officially over ;-)

David