[AusNOG] Looks like the NBN will be a PON variant for sure...

John Edwards john at vocus.com.au
Wed Apr 29 22:21:05 EST 2009

On 29/04/2009, at 9:40 AM, Curtis Bayne wrote:

> I was kind of hoping that we had moved on from L3 customer access
> tails - especially considering what Telstra taught us with their layer
> 3 wholesale access tails that they decomissioned years ago.

Have a look at Wimax (particularly ASN gateways) for an example of a
wholesale Layer3 environment.

For the VLAN architecture have a look at TR-101 from the dsl forum: http://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-101.pdf

It may be that the NBN needs to be L3 just to cut down on the
components required. A wholesale LAC/BNG/BRAS arrangement is going to
cost a bundle to support millions of Australians at 100M speeds, only
to be replicated at every ISP for the retail interface!

John Edwards