[AusNOG] Looks like the NBN will be a PON variant for sure...

MILES DAVID David.Miles at alcatel-lucent.com.au
Wed Apr 29 20:58:18 EST 2009

On 29/04/2009, at 2:31 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

However, it does strike me that a per vlan model would burn a /30 for each customer rather than a /32 - in a world where IPv4 addresses might become quite valuable for a time do you really want to increase a cost by four times just to get rid of PPPoE?

I'll just add that those BRAS vendors you mentioned all have methods to avoid a /30 per customer when using IPoE.
Broadband Forum call this model 1:1 VLAN in TR-101 (worth a look).

Other economies such as our friends across the ditch in NZ are adopting this VLAN-per sub model, OfCom (UK) are also looking at it:, you can run PPPoE on it, IPoE, IPX for all the wholesale operator cares. If you want to do business VPN tails with /30 links and BGP you can, or you can use the BRAS in DHCP/IPoE mode (in which case all subs get a /32).

Cheers

-d