[AusNOG] Looks like the NBN will be a PON variant for sure...

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Wed Apr 29 16:25:04 EST 2009

On 29/04/2009, at 2:31 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> However, a per-user VLAN might be nice too if the aggregation can be
> sorted out (imagine BIG vlan rewrite switches!).

There are precedents for doing this - some countries moved to this
model from ATM PVC per customer.

However, it does strike me that a per vlan model would burn a /30 for
each customer rather than a /32 - in a world where IPv4 addresses
might become quite valuable for a time do you really want to increase
a cost by four times just to get rid of PPPoE?

Again, I'm not for or against here, but just pointing out the issues
that I've thought of when considering this previously.

Per-vlan means, of course, that you can run PPPoE or static depending
on what the customer wants/desires.  So if it's achieveable then it's
quite likely to be a good middle ground.   As JSL points out - it does
mean you can run video/voip natively and PPPoE for internet access.

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft
Networks, Internode/Agile