[AusNOG] Looks like the NBN will be a PON variant for sure...

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:20:41 EST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:28 AM, John Lindsay <jlindsay at internode.com.au>wrote:

> I think you can make a very strong argument that Layer 3 is "greener"
> which also means "cheaper to operate" on the basis of needing slightly
> less boxes.

Actually if you bridge on a larger scale you use fewer boxes, but imnsho
that design lacks so much I won't even start.

> HFC networks are often operated as Layer 3 with customers even being
> able to see their neighbours at Layer 2.

Only if you do it badly. The older stuff was all bridged and really poor
security wise. All the newer stuff is layer 3 and DOCSIS separates people
nicely via RF encoding.

You should really be able to see your neighbours, anyway. Why not use LANs
like they were meant to??

> ADSL networks are often operated as Layer 2 with all traffic
> encapsulated in PPP.

but these are circuits and the DSLAM does all the work.

> But IPTV is much easier and more efficient if it's Layer 3 and ADSL
> networks can do that too, even at the same time as encapsulating the
> Internet access.

loads of things are...

--

Narelle
on her soapbox and in a foul mood thanks to some useless airline

narellec at gmail.com