[AusNOG] Greylisting in an ISP / Hosting Environment

Nicholas_Maesepp at scee.net Nicholas_Maesepp at scee.net
Mon Apr 27 11:45:42 EST 2009

Hi

 First time poster, short term lurker. So go easy on me If I do wrong.

Company I work for send a variety of mail to Australian users typically
with ISP email accounts which usually take the form of a support email for
a problem or a product with us for repair. Sometimes this comes from a do
not reply address with information to let them know the status of their
support issue, obviously not meant for two way communication. This can
cause issues for us if a customer is expecting an email (confirmation or
status update) after talking to a support line personnel and deciding to
call back if he has not received it in what he expects to be a reasonable
response time, incurring extra costs for us.

I have also run into issues with Sender Verification with my do not reply
bounce email that I have to whitelist the ISP and then blackhole the
email, which is not what I ideally like. But that is beside the point.

That said, I like greylisting and support it. The problem I have is with
communicating with the greylister, I would like an easy way to deal with
external companies about getting on their whitelists. Even if that
requires a bunch of documents to verify who I am, company, list of sending
MX's etc. Whitelisting between general business isn't as hard, it's
generally the ISP's (larger worse) that I find the hardest as there are so
many support people to get through before you can find someone that
actually knows about the mail filtering, typically the only recourse ends
with sending an email to postmaster@ or hostmaster@ and hope it is
actually monitored.

It is as simple as a section on a contact us page on a website,
surprisingly most don't have it. Most people who maintain a mailserver can
easily tell when they have been greylisted, assuming the greylister has an
informative temporary rejection message - I know some even put in a URL. I
think all legitimate senders would be willing to spend a fraction of their
time to verify themselves properly with externals and for a reasonable
period of time if this info was easily accessible. Especially if in the
long run it can reduce our support costs / calls as I'm sure it would do
for the greylister as well.

Cheers

Nick