[AusNOG] Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sat Apr 11 19:01:57 EST 2009

Bevan Slattery wrote:

>> I would hope
>> with all this spending some serious upgrading of national
>> infrastructure occurs and that broadband doesn't get the only
>> (or largest) piece of the pie.
>>

> Meaning 50% or greater piece.  I'm OK with it being the largest, not
> just larger than everything thing else.  Just wanted to clarify :)

The other bit of the stimulus package is the same or more (including
various water initiatives) - $42b from the press releases (although I
don't know how the $$ add up to that).  FWIW - the government has
claimed total cost will be $43b, not that they will borrow $43b - esp as
they have as part of it that companies will tip in infrastructure (eg.
existing fibre, duct etc) for equity.
>> This is because overhead lines plus a Telstra and Optus HFC line is
>>
> added to the mix leaving little or no headroom for future electrical
> capacity upgrades.

HFC, Telstra PSTN are run in the telecommunication height.  Electrical
is above that.  Not sure why anything on the poles would stop the
electricity being upgraded.
> They would also have to make a ministerial determination determination
> under Schedule 3 to do this (make it a low impact facility).  No biggie.
> However, I know a couple of energy providers already talking
> 'compensation'.  Maybe the Fed Gov is going to replicate the power
> transmission infrastructure in order to teach them a lesson too? ;)

Ha!  The energy providers should have had the sense to run their own
last-mile, but failed big time here in Oz.
> It's going to be a hard road.  I sincerely hope that at the very least a
> new national backhaul infrastructure is created by amalgamating
> infrastructure from existing providers and new construction.  To me that
> would have made this whole mess worthwhile.

My understanding is that this is the plan.   Let's see what happens if
Telstra decide to tip in some of their infrastructure - that might drive
the cost down.

MMC