[AusNOG] Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

Rick Jones rick at toplevel.net.au
Sat Apr 11 15:14:09 EST 2009

I’d also like to add that commercial common sense (even though it is not as common as we’d like it to be) will ultimately solve this problem.  Like the power industry and the telco industry, the move to underground will happen where cost drivers substantiate it.  If, as has been said, the cost of repairs will be prohibitive for aerial cables, then the carriers will put them underground.

But the experience throughout the world is to the contrary.  With the cost of aerial cables being far cheaper than the underground equivalent even factoring in the times when you have to repair storm damage.  As for customer service, when a big storm happens and we lose utilities, us Aussies tend to just grin and bear it.  I’ve lived through blackouts for several days because of 1-in-50 year storms and the community pulls together.  Fibre cable can be quite robust and pole loops can be used so that the cable falls to the ground in the event of a tree falling on it.

I’ve also had my phone and Internet off the air for days at a time when a storm was nowhere to be found.  These things we complain about!

All I do know is that the government made a serious mistake not splitting Telstra in two when it sold it.  We need separation of the wholesale/retail businesses and this plan appears to work, as long as the execution is right.  So, really all we have to talk about is whether this government can get the execution correct – and without a similar project as a reference – we just can’t tell at this stage.

The NBN is a project of national importance, as it directly supports our ability to compete internationally and this ultimately increases GDP and provides a positive revenue return over time.

I for one think that we should just get behind it and (as an industry group) make sure that the new entity does it properly – with our support.  Failing to support this would be disastrous and would mean that it gets done without the wisdom of our collective inputs.

And – a little off topic – HAPPY EASTER to all of you!

Cheers,

Rick