[AusNOG] From DBCDE: National Broadband Network: 21st centurybroadband

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Apr 7 11:32:16 EST 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> On 07/04/2009, at 10:13 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> >
> >and is it still split > 80% international usage for some weird reason?
>
> Most English language content is offshore.  So, what's wierd about it?

There's all this local bandwidth available between universities which
the students (which I hung around; when I was doing a degree) would
-love- to use national services, stuff on peering exchanges like
WAIX which are in the "Free traffic zone", etc.

The last time I worked at a university, AARNET were toeing the line
that there's no guaranteed way of knowing whats local and what isn't;
and if there's a billing dispute then the academic/student gets
handed a large number and has to chase that up with the billing
department.

I'm not sure if this is the same at every university (I hope that not
every university byte-charges like mine does/did!) but I do know that
plenty of students, staff and academic simply download things at
home and bring it back on campus instead of trying to download
legitimate content on-campus, because their ISP is (much) less likely
in 2009 to hit them with an excess usage bill. AARNET on the other
hand will hit the university with an excess use fee. :)

Adrian