[AusNOG] ALERT: Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+ausnog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 09:35:56 EST 2009

From: http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/298376/government_spends_43_billion_establish_national_broadband_network?eid=-100

"In a press conference this morning, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said it
would spend $43 billion to create a new wholesale-only fibre optic
network across Australia. The government-majority owned National
Broadband Network Corporation will work in partnership with the
private sector over the next 7-8 years to build the network across
regional and capital cities. The network will provide access of up to
100Mbps to end users and cover over 90 per cent of the nation.

"Prime Minister Rudd said it then planned to sell-off its stake in the
operations within five years of it being established. The decision
represented a historic moment in Australia’s history, and was the
largest infrastructure project ever laid out, he said.

(wholesale-only, sell-off within five years from establishment.)

cheers,
Dale