[AusNOG] Conroy censoring dissent?

Jasper Bryant-Greene jasper at unleash.co.nz
Wed Nov 12 16:28:10 EST 2008

On 12/11/2008, at 5:19 PM, Scott Howard wrote:
> Many A-GPS phones, especially earlier models in the US, use a form
> of A-GPS called Mobile Station Assisted (MS-Assisted), where the
> "network" carries out the calculations to determine actual
> location.  This works well for the E911 system as most phones will
> only ever need to make a very small number, if any, of GPS lookups
> in their lifetime and thus there's a saving on the in-phone CPU
> requirements.  Of course, Moore's law makes that less of an issue
> every day...

Yeah, I wouldn't really call the above A-GPS (although I do recall
seeing some marketing material for a phone, a few years back, which
worked as you describe above but claimed to have A-GPS). I can't find
any authoritative definition of A-GPS, so I guess the marketers can
claim whatever they want. Wikipedia doesn't mention MS-Assisted on its
page for A-GPS, for what it's worth. Maybe it should :)

Are there any phones still being sold new with MS-Assisted GPS? If
there are, do said phones claim to have A-GPS?

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
Network Engineer, Unleash

ddi: +64  3 978 1222