[AusNOG] IP KVM

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Wed Jun 25 10:07:11 EST 2008

Hi Eric,

On 24/06/2008, at 3:06 PM, Eric Cheng wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I’m looking to implement a IP-KVM solution. Has anyone got any
> recommendations / feedback? Needs to support about 8 servers and
> fairly cost effective. I’ve had a look at the Raritan and also the
> Avocent range and the Raritan Dominion KXII seems to be best out in
> the market at the moment.

We're making use of the Avocent gear (via DELL) - and it is pretty
damn good, it's especially great with more Dell/Avocent gear where if
you plug 1 Avocent KVM (i.e. the ones integrated into dell blades)
into a master unit all the channels appear nicely rather than having
to do multi-level key combinations, etc, quite nice.

The other nice thing about the Avocent is you can get a reasonably
cost effective "passive extender" that turns 1 port into 8 more so you
can run 1 bit of cat5 somewhere to have 8 closer ports.

I've used a Raritan Dominion KX (the first version I think) and it was
pretty nice but a bit buggy.. it locked up from time to time (even
with latest firmware updates) and had some issues at times.. generally
had a little less experience with the Avocent but its been a far
better experience than the Raritan.  that said the Raritan was quite
respectable.

Using 16-port cat-5 varieties in both cases... also don't discount the
$50-$200 cost for the end modules.

Cheers,
Trent