[AusNOG] Small Pipe BNE/Agile issue

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sat Jun 14 14:02:30 EST 2008

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
>

>> PIPE allow people to advertise longer than /24s.   If we don't accept
>> and pass them on then we end up with people complaining that some
>> traffic takes a transit path etc to them.   Basically it's that a lot of
>> people use longer-prefixes as a traffic engineering solution (more
>> specific wins) rather than consistent prefix advertisement.  Hence some
>> providers into PIPE exchanges in Oz advertise a gazillion /24s or longer
>> direct from IGP.   This is one of the issues with MLPAs.
>>

> How is it an issue with "MPLAs" ? The fact that its allowed is the
> issue.

You're right it's not specific to MPLAs - I was commenting on the longer
than /24 issue though.

> Heck, there's some people deaggregating down to /23's from a much larger
> contiguous block. Its not just longer than /24's, its that people chose
> "deaggregate as TE" as a solution, and it appears over transit as well
> as IXes. You just don't (yet) see it over transit, as noone's offered
> large enough amounts of cash to carry very small prefixes. :)

And because most bilaterals have has a condition not longer than /24s,
so you could advertise to a transit provider, but they couldn't send it
further!   Indeed a lot of transit providers will allow you to advertise
longer than /24 but won't pass it on.

>> Maybe MLPA vs Bilateral debate is a good idea for the peering session at
>> AUSNOG2?
>>

> Now I'm so coming to AUSNOG02. I'll bring popcorn. :)

I'll bring some stones and a glass house.

I think MLPAs have served us well in Australia, but I do think AUSNOG2
might be a good place to discuss whether we need to move to bilaterals
or a mixed model (ie MLPA is optional) to encourage larger international
companies to join peering points here who won't currently as MLPAs are
mandatory (pretty much).   Especially in the context of international
transmission prices to Australia dropping and the likelyhood of various
global Tier2s/Tier2+s moving in here.

MMC