[AusNOG] Small Pipe BNE/Agile issue

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sat Jun 14 13:01:18 EST 2008

David J. Hughes wrote:
> 2 questions really - why is Agile advertising a /26 and why are you
> accepting a /26 from another AS  :-)

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but:

PIPE allow people to advertise longer than /24s.   If we don't accept
and pass them on then we end up with people complaining that some
traffic takes a transit path etc to them.   Basically it's that a lot of
people use longer-prefixes as a traffic engineering solution (more
specific wins) rather than consistent prefix advertisement.  Hence some
providers into PIPE exchanges in Oz advertise a gazillion /24s or longer
direct from IGP.   This is one of the issues with MLPAs.

Maybe MLPA vs Bilateral debate is a good idea for the peering session at
AUSNOG2?

MMC

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft - Internode/Agile - Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia